Webinar #5 Agenda:
Evaluation data gleaned from pre and post-test results in NTI’s pilot across the country identified race and identify formation as two areas with the greatest knowledge gains. This webinar will focus on key concepts, approaches, tools, and strategies presented in two modules, Race, and Identity Formation.
We will describe the dynamics of racial identity and racial socialization, implications for the mental health of children and youth, and specific strategies to promote positive racial identity. We will also discuss strategies for helping children and youth do the work of understanding of identity and self-concept and provide strategies for working with parents to integrate the history of birth family and collaborating with mental health professionals to support children’s identity work.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Understand the key concepts presented in the modules on Race and Identity Formation.
- Gain an understanding of why “Identity Formation” and the “Understanding the Impact of Race, Ethnicity, Culture, Class, and Diversity on Children and Families” are important in addressing the mental health needs of children and families in foster, adoption and guardianship care.
- Demonstrate how to bring the knowledge and skills emphasized in each of these modules into day-to-day practice.
- Lisa Maynard, NTI Implementation Specialist, See Bio
- Pat O’Brien, Executive Director of the Adoptive and Foster Family Coalition of NY (AFFCNY), Founder of You Gotta Believe! The Older Child Adoption & Permanency Movement, Inc., Radio Host of “After the Kids Move In Radio Forum” on WGBB, 1240AM, See Bio
- Edna Davis-Brown, NTI Implementation Specialist, See Bio